Sunday, July 29, 2007

UMPC revival

With the impending purchase of what is, technically, my first Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC), I've decided to revive my tech blog.

You may all officially rejoice, now.

Seriously, though. I'm buying a Fujitsu U1010 (alternatively known as the U8240, and possibly even the U800), and this has piqued my interest in the UMPC platform.

I've always been interested in ubiquitous computing. I currently own, in relative order of age:

  • Fujitsu Stylistic 1000 - a 486(!!) Tablet PC
  • Toshiba Libretto 50m - P75 Touchscreen
  • Toshiba Libretto 110ct - P233
  • Panasonic Toughbook C34mkI - Celeron 300a, touchcreen, armoured
  • Sharp Zaurus C-series - Strongarm Clamshell PDA w/VGA, HD, USB, QWERTY keyboard
  • Toshiba Libretto U100 - PIII mobile, full featured micro-laptop
It practically reads like an evolution of the pre-Origami ultra-mobile computing. It will be interesting to compare these devices to the current State-of-the-Art - the Intel Ultra Mobile Platform 2007.

And yes, I'll probably be buying an iPhone, but not for the reasons that you might think.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

U1010 is a good choice. I'm hearing good reports about it apart from the short battery life with the standad battery.
Has the HTC shift come on to your radar at all?

Steve.