Thursday, January 11, 2007

Vulcan Flipstart Update!

I saw over in the Pocketpenguin forum that Vulcan's Flipstart website had been updated, and I signed up for the "first to know" thing right away. I would buy a flipstart the very instant it becomes available, as I view it as the perfect Zaurus killer:

Flipstart:
5.8"x4"x1"
454g
256mb ram (although I hope they bump this to at least 512 in their release)
30gb HD
1024x600 screen
wi-fi
USB2.0
Camera
VGA out

vs the Zaurus
4.9"x3.4"x1"
298g
64mb ram
4-6gb HD (very slow)
640x480 touchscreen
USB1.1

vs Kohjinsha
8.1"x6.5"x1.5"
980g
512mb-1gb ram
40-80gb HD
Wi-fi/BT
USB2.0
VGA out

The flipstart is half again heavier, only 0.9" wider and 0.6" deeper, same thickness. You gain x86 compatibility, built in wireless, a useful screen resolution, more memory (very, very important) and a much larger and faster HD.

The size might put it over the top for some, but I keep my Z in my coat pocket. The reduced battery life (3-4hrs) is still pretty good, and wouldn't affect my usage. The loss of the touchscreen will be harder to take, though.

It's like they compressed a Kohjinsha down into the size of a Z and left a higher res screen.I just bought a Macbook, which probably means my use of the Libretto will go down. If Vulcan comes out with this little wonder I'd probably sell off all but 1 Z and the Libretto, then carry the Flipstart. (And either an FIC open moko phone or an iPhone )

Posted by Picasa

No comments: